Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Single Crewed....Not

Well there I was thinking that I would be single crewed (for those of you who have read my previous entry), but no the Control managed to find me a friend to play with in the neighbouring division so I was told that once I had checked my vehicle I was to go over and double up with my colleague. Happy to oblige I checked my vehicle and grabbed my coffee and headed out to team up. Whilst on my way I was contacted by the Control and told that the crew that had just passed me with their lights and sirens going were heading to an RTA (Road Traffic Accident) and could I attend to back them up as it was a report of 2 patients trapped thinking to myself thank god they are in front I set of with lights and sirens blazing. Upon my arrival I could not believe what I saw, it was a car on it's roof with most of the passanger compartment crushed flat at the front, my colleagues were gathering up the necessary equipment from their vehicle and asked me to request another double crewed vehicle to attend.

Now to put you in the picture, this was the main street through a fairly small village which has good speed reducing measures (obviously not good enough I hear you cry), this is why everyone who arrived asked the same question......"How the hell did that happen?"

I eventually cleared from the scene when the second patient was packaged up and loaded into the first ambulance (the first patient to leave went on the third vehicle as it had managed to turn before being blocked in by WF trucks (fire appliances). Neither of the patients had seriously life threatening injuries, but were treated as such because of the mechanisms of injury.

For the remainder of the day I worked with my colleage and we were dispatched to several calls, nothing as exciting as the first of the day (this was my colleagues words not mine).

Well at least I did not kill (kill = lose) anyone today :)

No comments: